Friday, August 5

Allergies

I wasn't one of those kids who didn't eat their vegetables. I actually like most vegetables, and always have. During the holidays, we always had seaweed salad, california rolls, and other foods you wouldn't normally see next to the turkey and mashed potatoes. My parents always encouraged me to try any kind of food. Eating is something of an adventure, and I consider myself to have had a pretty broad range of experiences with food -- raw beef, pork, egg, lobster, and shrimp; sea cucumber, snake, alligator, etc. I think these experiences are the reason why I am so bothered that after all of these years without any food allergies, one suddenly crops up.


Knowing that I have a food allergy kind of scares me as far as trying other new foods in the future. What if the next time I try a food that I happen to be allergic to, the reaction is much more severe? What if I am allergic to all the other fruits in the same genus? I'm still going to try new and different foods, but I probably won't be quite as uninhibited about it. This new-found allergy is to jackfruit. The national fruit of Bangladesh, in case you were wondering. After chomping down on a few morsels, I was thinking "yum, how tasty"... and then these weird sensations started happening. My throat started getting itchy. I started experiencing discomfort when swallowing. Then it felt like there were needles in my throat. Not a good sign, obviously.

I swallowed a few antihistamine tablets, took a nap, and felt better once I woke up. Let's hope this same thing doesn't happen with any future food adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment