Sunday, August 28

Sandbridge

For my birthday weekend, Michael and I took Sonja to Virginia Beach. We met up with my parents and had a great time at the ocean. The most exciting part about the weekend was that we had the opportunity to take Sonja to the beach for the first time!

Virginia Beach
If you've spent time at Virginia Beach, you probably know that the beach is lined with highrise hotels, and it can be really hard to find a spot to lay on the beach among so many people. The water also tends to be pretty brown and murky from lots of sediment perturbation. Not exactly the most ideal beach for me (if I'm going to a beach with lots of highrises, I'd much rather be in South Beach Miami),  but much closer to me than nicer beaches like the Outer Banks of North Carolina.


Since there are rules against bringing dogs to Virginia Beach during the busier times of the year, we decided to make the short 15-20 minute drive over to Sandbridge. Although technically dogs are apparently not allowed there either, the rules are much more relaxed, and there were other dogs on the beach too. It was so exciting to see Sonja on the beach, because she absolutely loved it! Seeing her so excited and running up and down the beach with Michael made me really wish we could have had her off of the leash. She wasn't even scared of the water! I am definitely looking forward to taking her back to the beach again.

I had heard good things about Sandbridge before, I was so glad to be able to see it myself; it reminded me of a much smaller Outer Banks. It doesn't have all of those highrise hotels, and there are streets of cute beach houses lining the shore. The best part for me, though, is that you get a large area of the beach to yourself! No fighting other beach-goers for the best spots. No annoying lifeguards blowing a whistle ever 10 minutes. And free parking on the neighborhood streets!  If you are in Virginia Beach and want a more secluded feel, I would definitely recommend hopping down to Sandbridge. Michael even found me a great birthday treat - we bought some blue crabs and had them for dinner -- one of my favorite memories from going to the beach when I was growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment